October 2, 2008

After the first two weeks...

Once we landed here in Kugluktuk the first thing I noticed was the fact that there is no pavement, we landed on a long flat strip of gravel.  Not that I was surprised.  A local told us we were lucky that the runway was clear of caribou today.
The apartment we live in is surprisingly roomy.  Our apartment is one in a row of five, all of them identical down to the smallest detail.  It's the stuff you have and where you hang it that makes it your own.  So living with 4 of us in here isn't a problem whatsoever.  The apartment is in "New Town" which is on a higher level part of town, geographically as well as demographically.  Most of the teachers live around us and the buildings are much newer than the rest in town.  Walking to school we see huskies outside chained up, some were guarding a couple seals brought back from a hunt.  The roads are usually muddy because it's been raining the odd day since we've been here.  I find myself tucking my pants into my socks so they don't get all covered on the way to school.  Everyone is very friendly, waving and saying hello as you walk about town, especially the children.  We're settling in quite well, better than I had originally thought.

No comments: